Thursday, October 25, 2012

Miss Rodeo Nebraska Encourages Young Girls to "Enjoy the Ride."

Photo Credit: George Hipple Photography

Miss Rodeo Nebraska, Sierra Peterson, stopped by Fort Western Outfitters in Lincoln, NE this week. We learned that Sierra is currently preparing for a trip to the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas, where she will compete for the title of Miss Rodeo America. Sierra agreed to take some time out of her busy schedule to chat with us about her reign as Miss Rodeo Nebraska, her desire to become Miss Rodeo America and the importance of living her motto to "Enjoy the Ride."

  • What inspired you to compete for the title of Miss Rodeo Nebraska?
    • In 2009, I met Miss Rodeo Nebraska Lady-in-Waiting Michelle Boeshart. She stayed with me during the Wahoo PRCA Rodeo. She told me what was involved in the competition and what it meant to hold a title. I love the role of being an ambassador for rodeo. Rodeo has always been a part of my life, and sharing that with others has been one of the greatest joys.
  • How did you prepare for the competition?
    • Preparing for a competition involves studying current events along with equine and rodeo knowledge. You also have to ride as many horses as possible, as you do not ride your own during competition. My favorite part of preparing is writing my speech. I love being creative, and as a public relations major,it has really helped me hone the skills needed for my career path.
  • How has your life changed since you became Miss Rodeo Nebraska?
    • My life has taken a new direction since winning the title of Miss Rodeo Nebraska. I have been able to meet so many wonderful people and see so many new places that it has helped me realize that Nebraska is truly where I want to call home. I have been able to do things I would have never imagined i could do. It has been such a joy representing this great state and being able to grow as an individual.
  • What have you accomplished or what do you hope to accomplish with your title?
    • I have been able to reach out to new rodeo fans in eastern Nebraska with my title and I hope to accomplish a legacy of a continued love of rodeo. I hope to have inspired at least one young girl to go for her goals and make her dreams a reality. Mentoring this year has allowed me to see how important it is to encourage the younger generation that they can succeed.
  • What advice would you give to young girls aspiring to become Miss Rodeo Nebraska?
    • My greatest advice would be to "go for it!" It is such a wonderful experience, but you will never have it unless you try. Dream Big, and never back down until you've reached your goals.
  • In what ways can others become involved in supporting the mission of the Miss Rodeo Nebraska Association?
    • The mission of the Miss Rodeo Nebraska Association is to provide an opportunity for young women of high moral and ethical character to promote Nebraska and the sport of rodeo. You can get involved by not only becoming a member of the association, but also by encouraging the young women in your life to live by a motto like this.
  • How do you feel about competing for the national title of Miss Rodeo America in Vegas?
    • I am very excited to compete for the title of Miss Rodeo America. It is my honor to represent the Cornhusker State on the national stage. I have met 30 other very beautiful rodeo queens and I am proud to call them my friends. I look forward to the new memories the national competition will bring and hope to continue to build those relationships.

If you would like to learn more about the history of Miss Rodeo Nebraska Association, or how to get involved please visit their website. Fort Western Stores is proud to sponsor Sierra, and wishes her the best of luck during her visit to the National Finals Rodeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment